Dear Reader

Herein you will find letters that I write and post.

Letters to who?
Letters to people in my life, real or imagined.
Letters to things. Letters to ideas.

Why write letters like this?
I am writing these letters based on moments throughout my life in which I find myself thinking about something or someone in terms of writing a letter.
Like, Dear Dad, what have you been doing all these years?
Or Dear Sky, what is it like to be so vast?
Or Dear Sara, I knew you when I was 11 and you had the most amazingly gorgeous singing voice. Where are you and what are you doing now? Are you still a singer?

So, that's why I'm writing letters.

Why here and not email or snail mail or text message them or smoke signal them?
Because this is sending them, in its own way. Because I can't find the address to send a letter to my missing favorite pair of sneakers or my long lost best friend, Anne Halkovic.

So, Dear Reader, read on. There may be a letter for you!
Thank you.

Leila

The Letters

Following are the letters.
Please feel free to comment after a letter and post a letter of your own!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bad Catholics

Dick and Maryanne,
I'm writing to let you know that you really hurt me and let me down.
You proclaim to be Catholic.
You told me, "no matter what happens with you and Mike, we will always love you, we will always be family, we will always be here for you..."

Yet, when a horrible thing happened, you never checked to see if I was okay.
You never called or emailed or stopped by to see if I was alright.
You only heard and listened to your son's point of view and never even once checked to see if I was hurt and needing help.
You lied and failed in your obligation.
I need you to know this.
I need this guilt to be on your conscience.
I need you to see your wrongs.

Did it ever occur to you once that I could be hurting and in need of help? Did it ever occur to you that there are two sides to every argument, and despite whatever Mike told you there was the truth that you never bothered to find out?

Did you know that throughout our relationship Mike would punch walls, punch himself in the face, and overall get violent and drunk and nasty?

You failed in making good on your own oathe to do good. You broke your promise of love and family.

I hope that when you are hurt and broken and flailing you have people there for you, unlike me when Mike and I broke up.

All these years later,
Still bitter,
Leila

No comments: